[at-l] Poison Ivy Information

In the southern Appalachians and in much of the eastern U.S., there is a
plant remedy that works very well. Jewel Weed comes in two varieties,
with a yellow flower (Impatiens pallida) or with an orange flower (
Impatiens capensis). The great thing about Jewel Weed is that it often
grows right next to Poison Ivy and is fairly common along roadsides.
This plant is a well-known folk remedy for P.I. and has no reported
side-effects. The juice of the Jewel Weed can be extracted from the
stems or leaves, preferably before flowering, but it seems to work at
any time. If you are out in the woods and realize that you have exposed
yourself to Poison Ivy, and are able to find Jewel Weed, you are in
luck. Crush the stems of Jewel Weed to extract the juice and apply it to
the area affected by The P.I. or, apply a poultice of the crushed leaves
to the area. The juice is somewhat sticky and will stay where you put it
pretty well. Some folks have said that tea made from Jewel Weed works as
a preventative. To keep a reserve supply on hand, the best idea seems to
be to save the juice as ice cubes to rub on the infected area. Shred
leaves and roots and place in boiling water for 15 minutes to half an
hour, then freeze the liquid in ice cube trays. Jewel Weed relieves the
itching, stops the spread and helps to heal the Poison Ivy rash. We have
found Jewel Weed to be the best remedy of all, even better than
prescription products.
THIS INFO IS FROM:  <A
HREF="http://www.ncnatural.com/wildflwr/obnxious.html">Obnoxious
Plants--Poison Ivy and Nettles