Re: [at-l] Gear and Boots

David, you want a tip on the pack, I'd say you should leave a day early and
get someone to take you to the Mountain Adventures store, about a four-day
hike north of Springer (but only an hour by car). It's the best gear store
for thruhikers on the east coast, and they'll fit you with the ideal pack
for your needs, and save you a lot of grief. Then you can hitch a ride to
the trailhead.

I wouldn't do that with shoes, though the store  is a great place to get
fitted for shoes, too. You need to break most boots in with about 25 miles
of walking with a load on your back, if possible, before hitting the trail.
You'll go through two to three pairs on the hike, so if you don't like the
ones you get, you'll eventually wear them out and can buy another pair
along the way. Vasque Sundowners are the classic thruhiker boot, and
thousands have had good luck with them, but it's a matter of preference and
foot shape.

--Rhymin' Worm GA-ME '97