Re: [at-l] Tent

From your post it looks like you do not want so much a onepeson tent, but
a small two person tent that will not break the bank.

Based on that criteria,  I would reccomend the Kelty Zen.

While it is heavy for one person (4 lbs 12 oz), it is light for two. The
only tents you will find that are large enough for two people and under
four pounds are some very expensive single wall tents.

The Zen is very waterproof, has a decent size vestibule, and while it is
not spacious by any means, two people can fit in it fairly well.

My experience in using it is when my buddy met me in Monson to hike the
last stretch to Katahdin. We used his Zen.  FWIW,  my buddy is about 5'8"
and I am abouut 5'6". So two rugby players might find the tent too small.
:) Despite the downpours at night, we stayed bone dry. The tentis very
easy to setup.

The Zen costs $120 from Campmor for the '98 version. The '99, with
windows on the rainfly and two zippered vents, costs $150.   Or you can
be like me, order the '98 and get shipped the '99 at '98 prices. Go
figure. :)

If you decide you want a good one person tent. I swear by the Walrus
Swfit. Light, decent size vestibule, can fit one person plus gear, water
tight, good ventilation.

Walrus now sells the Microswift. From what I have seen is slightly
smaller, and has less head room. It also weighs a little less. Closest
comparison is the Eureka Gossmaer..