[at-l] Quercus

Hello all, I have made it to Erwin.  The Redhead  kind enough to let me crash
for the night, Check my email, and have an excellent steak.  I have not been
going quite as fast as I exspected, but I am having a blast.  I got into
Erwin yesterday, doing a measly 6 miles...the day before I did 17 to no
buisness Knob shelter. My longest day I think.  The trail since Davenport Gap
(after the smokies) has been great.  my feet have been causing me alot of
trouble, but I'll keep walking.  I am planning on flopping back in to
Damascus for trail days, and I  am looking forward to meeting lots of you.  I
will probably get there a week or so in advance, but cant stay that long in
town, so I may do troutdale > Damascus or sugar grove > damascus...I will get
there late on the 13th, so save me a spot :)  The smokies were kind of dirty
and populated, but the views were incredible.  I went up and over clingmans
on march 31, so the road was closed.  I had the entire place to myself except
for 2 deer and a red-tailed hawk.  there were 40 blowdowns between double
spring shelter and clingmans, and I had to practically ski down the N side of
the dome.  I have had ice or snow on the trail all but 8 of the days I have
been out.  Trilliums and mayapples are starting to bloom, and the trout
lilies are already well on their ways.

more later

the tally so far ( rough estimate)
338 miles
3 pairs insoles
36 lipton dinners
19 ramen noodles
6 pounds Rice
5 bottles of Parkay
84 dollars of postage
247 quarts water
9 pounds pasta
8 rice a roni's
167 trail friends
12 pasta roni's
2 water filters
104 candy bars
66 power bars
19 clif bars
1 pound jerky
288 pictures
8 batteries
3 candles
2 T shirts
97.5 beers
116 Oz fuel
3 books
3.5 maps
3 states
2 stoves
4 bottles hot sauce
68 outmeals
44 grits
24 advil
327 $ for lodging
??? $ for other stuff

thats abou it, I am trying to check my email periodically, so drop me a line
sometime.  also, if anyone wants to send me anything, here are my drops
(updated)

write "Please Hold for A.T. Thru Hiker"on the letter

Matthew Lodowski
General delivery
city, state, zip

Damascus, VA 24236