Re: [at-l] Report from Davenport Gap

<<I know this is petty but I think rime is a special natural attraction.>>

Yes you are right, that is how rime ice is formed.  And since I wasn't with
Bristlecone I can't say whether it was rime ice or regular ice from
freezing rain, but he said rime ice, so I reported rime ice.  I DO know
that last year when I hiked the AT there WAS rime ice on the trees between
Hogpen Gap and Blue Mtn because I was hiking in the clouds all day and took
pictures.  Yes the rime forms in a strange way in that it forms on the side
that the air flow comes FROM (so sort-of upwind) which I've always thought
was strange.  I live in MA but hike in NH in the Whites quite a bit and
I've seen rime ice a bunch of times so I know what it is... and I
definitely saw it last year... so I just took Bristlecone at his word.

Twilight