Re: [at-l] Report from Davenport Gap

>In a message dated 4/14/99 1:39:32 PM, you wrote:
>
>>The past couple days they had an ice storm in the Smokies so no views at
>>all at Charlie's Bunion.  It was 28 degrees yesterday when he got up (at
>>Tri-Corner Knob Shelter) to start hiking.  The trees were covered in ice
>>and he said they looked like crystal shining in the sun.  By afternoon it
>>was in the 60's and everyone was being pelted with rime ice melting off the
>>trees.

I realize this is a technicality but, isn't rime ice formed when watervapor
freezes directly to trees and other objects not from freezing rain?  An ice
storm is rain that freezes on contact to trees and other objects.  It freezes
from a liquid state rather than from a gaseous state. I believe Rime Ice can
only occur at very low temperatures, when clouds and other forms of water
vapor freeze on contact and form very unusual shapes controlled by the flow
of air around the objects.
	I know this is petty but I think rime is a special  natural
attraction.   I am
fasinated by the beauty seen on top of mountains from the this type of ice
formation. WildBill, do you have any information on this?

								Art