Re: [at-l] Papers, please

> Read the bill.  It dosen't limit where the activities must be conducted
> to be licensed, except is exempts persons from being licensed to walk on
> their own private property.  So, if you go for a walk in the woods or in
> a park do you, and your kids need a license?

So it would seem. The full bill, in glorious Word format, is at the
following:

http://janus.state.me.us/legis/bills/billdocs/LD198701.doc

> It also dosen't define what hiking is.

Details, details. I suspect that it would be defined as walking on
a maintained footpath. After all, this is a bill to fund "trail
maintenance," minus whatever it costs to keep the woods well-stocked
with cops to enforce this scheme, of course.

> Again, could it range from taking an afternoon walk to doing the AT.

It gets more silly than that. The bill would effectively outlaw canoeing
without a state-issued license. Since the state claims ownership of
virtually every navigable body of water, the only kayaking or canoeing
done "on property owned by the person" will be in farm ponds or
temporarily flooded lowlands.

The anal apertures who are sponsoring this bill are:

Henry L. Joy (R-Crystal)
3 Belvedere Road
P. O. Box 103
Island Falls 04747 (207) 463-2507
hljoy@ainop.com

Russell P. Treadwell (R-Carmel)
Damascus Road
RR 2, Box 1570
Carmel 04419 (207) 848-5123

--
mfuller@somtel.com; Northern Franklin County, Maine         $
The Constitution is the white man's ghost shirt.  }>:-/> --->