[at-l] It was Twenty Years Ago, Today...

     I simply can't believe I've even been alive this long....
     Twenty years ago today, Mom and Dad (who were very much against their
     son doing this, and were hoping he'd come to his senses...) and I left
     the motel room at sunny, warm Commerce, Georgia for the little trippie
     to that last forest road before Springer (Hightower Gap?). Took the
     pictures at Amicalola (all equipment perfect, clean, full of promise),
     weighed the pack (beat personal fifty pound limit...by half a pound),
     and wondered at the gathering clouds and drizzle. Drove around to the
     forest road's meeting with the AT -- the road's steepness surprising
     and intimidating (very). Last minute pictures with the parents
     (awkward tears for them, shaming fears for me), hoisted pack, and set
     out for Springer 3 miles away. That first day, with wind and rain and
     such, was still great: I was too distracted by actually, finally being
     OUT, that I forgot to worry about "the AT Hike" and just enjoyed
     myself. From then on out, was so distracted by the unyeilding fear of
     not finishing, of dropping out, that basically speaking I missed out
     on enjoying major portions of my hike from Springer all the way to
     Delaware Water Gap, where I figured out "Hey, I'm pretty good at this!
     At least if I just relax and HIKE I am." Took a thousand miles to
     figure out what was important -- what would get me up the trail. (On
     the AT and later....)

     So with MAJOR apologies to The Beatles and Beatles' fans everywhere:

     It was Twenty Years Ago, Today
     that the skinny boy walked away
     to hike an Appalachian Trail,
     become "A MAN" and not to fail!
     It was hard 'n' hard to attain --
     not in body but in soul and brain:
     Appalachian Hikers Really Sweat It Out!

     We're Appalachian Hikers sweatin' out
     the city skins of Modern Life!
     We're A-T Hikers struttin' and a-sweatin' up this hill --
     through rain and sleet and drought and strife!

     Appalachian Hikers!
     A-T sweatin' hikers!
     Stinking salty hikers humping hard.
     *******
     (It's wonderful to be here --
     the weather's such a thrill
     but I'm too cold to light my stove --
     Trail Angel, take me home with you.
     Trail Angel Take Me Home!)
     *******
     I don't really want to hit the trail
     d'Rather hit the shelter, hide my tail.
     But you don't go north by standing still
     Gotta hoist the pack and hit the hill --
     It was hard 'n' hard to attain
     Oh that leason burned in soul and brain:
     A-T Hikers Really Sweat It Out!

     We're Appalachian Hikers sweatin' out
     The city-skins of Modern Life.
     AT hikers stinking and sweating up this hill
     through fair and foul, there ain't no strife!

     Appalachian Hikers!
     Sweatin' Hungry Hikers!
     Salty stinky hikers humpin' hard!