Ode to Some Hiker, Somewhere...Re: [at-l] Bristlecone at NOC

     Lessee now:
     I'm working. He's hiking.
     I get up, drudge the day,
     ignore the weather, the change of season,
     the angle of the sun and the speed of the wind
     -- even the flavor of the food I eat
     and the water I command to jump into my cup with a twist of the wrist
     is so commonplace as to...Oh, I ignore it all.

     He, on the other hand, keeps a weather eye up
     and a watchful eye out
     for the different blooms on the differentially exposed slopes
     at the ever-changing heights, for the succession of flowers
     and budding trees
     seasonally responsive
     to be seen along the way.
     He may not know the time, but
     he's quickly learning the hours remaining of useful daylight
     by the warmth of sunlight over his shoulder. (His left.)
     The wind is his constant companion, and
     he cannot sit down to tie a stray lace without assessing
     its speed and direction and acting accordingly.
     And Food! He'd gobble as gourmet what I congeal as a meal,
     and rave of the flavor as unbelievable.
     Water from a spout? Marvelous stuff, that!
     Give him more, please, before he's out the door.

     Yeah, *I've* got so much to tell *him.*
     Hey!
     Godspeed and travel well.

     Sloetoe'79