[at-l] OrangeBug Section Journal Day 4

4 2
Into Standing Indian!

Good Friday. I awoke early and surprised several of the Muskrateers as they
passed by. My brown Tyvek tent was effective as camouflage. I suspect it
would be a Stealth burrito.

I took my time getting started, following Shagbark by 30 minutes after
exploring the rhododendron thicket and the "unreliable" water source. The
branch is hard to find. You hear it first and then see the series of falls.
This was worth the time and scramble thru the blackberry patch.

My walk was slowed by a deeply personal issue. The pending end of the trip
was not the issue, altho on my mind. Nay. The issue was closer to heart.
Chafing is far worse (in my experience) than even tired feet.

A change of shorts, application of Gold Bond powder(wow!). Bioclude,
Neosporin, et al fared no benefit. Hence, I walked down the hill like a
bow-legged cowboy.

Let's discuss chaffing. It is a very common problem, but rarely reviewed in
literature. It was first described by Earl Chaffer in the late 1940's.
However, I will try to enlighten the kind reader thru an interactive exercise.

First, start a fire in your fireplace and set a poker in it until it begins
a warm white glow. While it is warming, go out to the garage and find some
coarse 60 grit sand paper. I prefer garnet paper for it's red tint. Lightly
sprinkle some spare battery acid and fold the paper in half. Remove your
pants and underwear. Place the acid treated paper between your legs and
feel the mild sting. Take the hot poker and use it to rub the paper against
your upper inner thighs 10 times a minute for about 20 minutes. Feel that
burn? That's a great deal like chaffing! This is NOT good!

I passed Shagbark, who played leapfrog with me down to Deep Gap. He claimed
to be the slowest hiker around. I guess he is in his early 70's, yet he
complained that it took him a long time to climb the hills. He has good
goals, a great family, and a keen mind. I hope he doesn't let the hills
beat the heart out of him. I know few hikers his equal.

I will spare you the descriptions of the 4 flatlanders whose wives's "only"
carried 45 pounds.  I'll also pass on telling you of the mess at Standing
Indian Shelter. I left Shagbark at the shelter post lunch and headed to the
summit. Somehow, this was an easy climb, with the end of this section at 1PM.

I remained on the summit most of the day, directing people to water & the
pending sundown light show. Four thru hikers (Levi & Nichole, & 2 guys from
Michigan) and 2 weekenders shared the summit campsites with me.

As nice as they all were, the thru hikers stayed together and began a
playful game of "Mine is Bigger than Yours." The subject was calves, which
had magically hypertrophied somewhere between Tray Mountain and Standing
Indian. Capolenes could no longer hike up to your knees. Noseeums bounced
harmlessly off them. Envy only grew in this hapless section hiker, soon to
return to the flatland.

Sundown was spectacular as always on SI and the sky cleared in the night as
the stars and waning moon aided Nature's calls. What a Good Friday.

OrangeBug
GA->NC 99