Re: [at-l] Just figuered it out

In a message dated 4/4/99 11:52:53 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
toending@hotmail.com writes:

<< How meny of u have hiked both the appalation trail and
 some in the sierras, how are they the same and how are they differnet. >>

I'll let you know.  I hiked the Appalachian Trail in '97 and '98.  I be
starting the PCT in 3 weeks.  One thing you may like to know the AT runs 2160
miles from Georgia to Maine with an total elevation gain of appoximately
450,000 feet, with Clingman's Dome being the highest peak (over 6600).

The PCT runs 2650 miles (Mexico to Canada) with an elevation gain of 313,000
feet, that includes a side trip to Mt. Whitney (over 14,000 ft.).

If you do the math, the AT appears to be the tougher of the two, although
they're 500 miles shorter, with much steeper terrain (atleast along the
trail).  Both seasons generally end in October because of snow at the
northern terminus.

They are both unique trails and mountain ranges and shouldn't be confused or
compared for that matter.

Sly