[at-l] My introduction

I'm a lurker and with the recent introductions, I thought it might be
time for me to do the same...

I'm Felix. Felix J. McGillicuddy. The recent stories from the Trail have
reminded me of a couple of things that happened to me whilst I was hiking
last year...

1. I hiked with a guy from West Virginia (sorry Jack) for a while. He was
very self-conscious (is that the write word?) about his accent and wanted
to sound like he was from the same area we were hiking in. When we got to
New York, he was really concerned about ordering a sandwich. He had never
heard of a 'grinder'. He called them subs. So, he had me teach him how to
order a grinder, and sound like a New Yorker. I taught him all I know and
sent him on his way. That night, he rolls in to the shelter a little
after dark. "How'd it go?" I asked him. "Not so good" he replied. "Why?
What happened?"
"Well, I went in and ordered my grinder. I said everything just like you
told me, Felix. And the guy still said 'You're not from around here, are
ya?' I said 'How'd you know?' And he said 'Cause this is a hardware
store.'"

2. One of my maildrops was Boise, ID. I got a ride from a very nice man
named Joe Lee. He was telling me about his three sons. One had gone to
school and become an eye doctor. The middle one was a car dealer. The
third was a potato farmer. Well, as the story went, none of the three
were thriving in their endeavors. So, their father came up with an
advertising ploy that he hoped would help all three at the same time. He
dropped me off at the post office without telling me what the scheme was.
After I did my bidness with the post office (you know, the usual
'forwarding' card filling out) I walked up to the diner for a bite to eat
before hitchhiking back across country to the Trail. As I sat there
eating, I noticed a car dealership across the street. There it was, on
the sign out front:

FRANK LEE'S CAR LOT
Eye Donors Given Yams

(If you only knew how long I've wanted to use this)

Anyway, back to lurking. Stop by my homepage and take a look at my hiking
page and stuff. UrL is at the botton of this e-mail.

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98

Stop and see me at:  http://members.tripod.com/~Felixhikes/index.html