Re: [at-l] Lost Hikers (later Makem Pay)

I've been off hiking for a couple of weeks, as I go thru the messages that
accumulated I gotta put in my two cents worth on this interesting but it seems
short lived thread.

First my disclaimer. Since I've just returned from solo hiking, well, except
for the dogs and they listen good but don't talk too well, my usually
sensitive social communication skills just might be shakey. There is no
disrespect or flame throwing intended.

My Dad was a volunteer firefighter & Ambulance driver much of his adult life;
I have made my share of mercy trips as well.  I think volunteer folks of mercy
are great. BUT
As technology has progressed the cost of providing up to date emergency
services has increased almost exponentially. The town I live in provides good
services and has a fairly high tax rate.In an effort to keep taxes down and
let the users pay a larger share of expenses, if I call 911 and an ambulance
is dispatched, I receive a bill (not for the total cost but a set fee). If the
local EMS also responds, another bill, unless I belong to their club.
If my car brakes down on the highway I pay the tow truck operator since I am
not one of his favorite charities.
If I need a shuttle/taxi to get to or from a trail head I pay their fee.
If I get out in the woods and thru ignorance, stupidity, accident or some
combination of the three I need rescue, why would I have any thought that,
that service would be free. [there are no free lunches, somebody pays the
bill, hence, my problem my bill]
If I leave Fontana without enough food and wander into Mountain Mamas several
days later starved half to death should I expect Carolyn & John to feed me for
free? I think not.
This kind of subject makes me want to jump on my 'personal responsibility'
soap box and preach sermon 86 for the next hour or so but I'll restrain
myself. I do gotta ask why it is that we have this feeling [myself sometimes
included] that if something bad happens, someone should come to our rescue and
thanks is the only payment required.

While hiking, when I get to a road and want to head to town I fully expect to
walk whatever the distance is and try to plan my day as if I will walk. I do
stick out my thumb and am quite gratefull when someone stops but I don't
expect it to happen. Even tho I have never failed to get a ride when I needed
it. I also would not be surprised or offended if some one stopped and said
I'll give you a ride but want X dollars.

A point of interest. In July of 1997 I was on the Colorado River about two
days down river from the Bright Angel Trail/Phantom Ranch when one of the men
on our trip had a severe kidney stone attack about mid afternoon. Luckly (for
him) in a few hours someone was able to obtain radio contact with a commercial
airliner flying 40,000 ft overhead who in turn was ble to contact the Air
Rescue Crew at Grand Canyon Village, who in turn were ale to reach our site
only a few minutes "after" their "legal" level of light {they landed and took
off anyway} . The point of this story is that while we were waiting our head
boatman advised his wife  to have their insurance info or credit card data
available as there would be a charge in the neighborhood of $3,000. for the
rescue.
I am not positive but reasonabily sure that the equipment and crew were U.S.
Gov't.

When we venture off on an adventure we should be prepared for the
eventualities.

Justakahike
Plum'Crazy