Re: [at-l] coolmax bandanas!!!!!!!

OK, I'll admit to being a coolmax bandana user.  I switched from cotton last
year.

I use bandanas mostly for ...um... perspiration control.  I really don't
like sweat in my eyes or on my glasses, so I wear them around my head as
sweat collectors/evaporators.

I originally bought a couple of coolmax bandanas as a goof.  After all, we
know that "cotton kills".  But I found they really do work better.  The
cotton bandanas would become completely saturated, forcing me to carry two
and switch back and forth between them.  But with the coolmax I found I was
able to wear the same one all day.

I never thought to compare the weights before, but by my scale the coolmax
is more than twice the weight of cotton: cotton - 3/4 oz; coolmax 1-3/4 oz
 for once Campmor is reasonably accurate with their weights ).  But now that
I know how well the coolmax bananas work I can put just one in my pack,
offsetting most of the weight penalty.

There is something I've been wondering about coolmax bandanas though... I've
read that some people use their bandanas to pick up their hot pots, saving
them from having to carry the 1 oz pot tongs.  I use an Evernew pot with a
built-in handle, so this is not an issue for me, but I've wondered if the
coolmax fabric would melt if used this way.

There is no topic too small....

    Peter

Visit my Backpacking Web Site at
http://www.pipeline.com/~pnyberg/Hiking/Hiking.html