[at-l] Mara's Journal & a Thru Hiker sighting

Well, I got the first installments of Mara's journal yesterday.  Read about
her first days, her first firsts, and her first night in the Nomad at:

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor

It's best viewed in Netscape - older versions of MIE still have a problem with
it.  I am working on it.

As Cassy and I were on our way home yesterday, I saw this young guy standing
on the corner, a map in one hand and bags of groceries around his feet.  He
looked too clean cut to be a thru hiker - but - well, he just LOOKED like a
thru hiker <g> so we stopped.  Turned out to be Arctic Sven, a guy who has a
journal on TrailPlace I had just happened to be reading, who got turned around
on his way back to Uncle Johnny's.  So - our first real encounter with a 99
thru hiker (Cassy says "wheres his packpack?")  I think he got a kick out of
it when we drove up to the Hostel and Cassy said "theres uncle johnnys" and
then "Hi uncle johnny" as she waved at him (he was standing on the porch
talking to two other hikers) - see, she knows all the important things ;)  If
it hadn't been such a long day at work, I would have been more tempted to go
back after dinner and chat.  But I guess maybe I'll wait for the first at'ler
to come thru - maybe <g>

The Redhead
Ga > Me  00