Re: [at-l] Rodale Books

Tom Fort wrote:
> Please tell us what books these are.   The Rodale press publishes LOTS of
> books.

> after LAB wrote:
>
> That's a great set.  I've enjoyed reading it several times.  It would be
> GREAT if they would do additional volumes.

ANSWER:
If you go to the AT Bibliography on Wingfoot's Trailplace site:
	http://trailplace.com/bibliography/bibliography_index.html

And look under  Category: 05- AT Memoirs & Journals, you'll find this
title listed:

        HIKING THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL
        1st Edition
        by James R. Hare, editor
        Rodale Press (out of print)
        1975, 2 vol. (2009 pp.), 60 leaves of colored plates, hard cover

        "The absorbing stories of 46 men and women who have hiked the
entire 2,023 miles of the Appalachian Trail from Maine to Georgia--the
day-to-day adventures, dangers, hardshps, and satisfactions of the long
trail, with hundreds of practical suggestions on how to backpack success-
fully, and much good advice on equipment. 131 photographs in color."
--from the dust jacket.
	Most of the equipment advice may be outdated, but the  stories
certainly are not. They are very much alive and fascinating even today.
Those with a real love for the AT and for its past will treasure these
volumes, as will those who just like to read hiking tales. Some of the
stories' authors are: Chuck Ebersole, Gene Espy, Ed Garvey, Dorothy Laker,
ELmer Onstott, Eric Ryback, and James R. Wolf. There is a 20-page Table of
Elevations for points along the Trail's route as it existed in 1971.
Many (most?) of these points are on the current route. Volume Two ends
with a large bibliography. Additionally, there are short articles about Myron
Avery, Earl Shaffer, and Grandma Gatewood.

        Posted by Earthworm on Nov 5, 1998.

So, does that answer the question?  :-)  You can contact the Interlibrary
Loan folks at your local library to see if they can get these books for
you or you can try to purchase the volumes from one of the online used
book sources such as Bibliofind.  If you need to know more about this,
contact me off-list. -- Earthworm/Linda