Re: [at-l] Southbound Anyone?

In a message dated 3/23/99 10:56:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rdbehr@earthlink.net writes:
<<  I am wondering how soon one can start a southbound trek? >>
 Every spring is different in Maine :O)
 The last weekend of April 98 I spent a cold night at Hurd Brook with a
Canadian Hiker named Sven who had hiked southbound to White Cap and had to
turn around due to impassible snow drifts. Three weeks later, Katahdin was
open for summiting on the 15th of May. That was very early compared to recent
years. That weekend, 32Flavors, and later Puffin ( with two soon to be lost
cats) entered the 100 Mile. I seem to recall that they and several other SBers
were held up for days by high water in Maine.
 Despite all that, both 32Flavors and Puffin made Springer. Make your
reservations at Baxter, and hope for the best :O)
TJ