Re: [at-l] MAKE EM PAY!!!

Fallingwater wrote:

> First it saddens me when I see such a quick rush to judgment. Especially
> when no details were presented. I don't know how competent these hikers
> were. I've certainly seen no evidence presented here. Failure to
> register is hardly a test of competency.

> Second from my perspective, their competency is not relevant.

Correct. This is an issue of morals. Whoever called for the search, or the
members of the lost party if they consented to being rescued, should pay
*on demand* for it regardless of any excuses they may have. I see nothing
wrong with a "quick rush to judgment" on this issue -- she's pretty cut
and dried.

> Many would ask why should the park or anyone else pay. That's a good
> question. It's also one I ask myself when some gang member with no
> insurance gets shot, winds up in the hospital crippled for life. A
> needless, senseless act that will in the end cost me thousands of
> dollars over the years in increased insurance payments.

Why are you, in effect, insuring other people?

> Why should I pay for some ass that want's to drink himself into a stupor
> and need a liver transplant years from now. Yet I've read many post
> extolling the virtues of beer on the trail.

Funny how welfare statism makes people's private vices everyone else's
business. "He who pays the fiddler" and all that.

> There are no easy answers.

Make me dictator -- I'll stop this kind of Schumer inside of a week. It
won't be pretty, though.

> PS. I spent 7 plus year in Mountain Rescue. We purchased all of our own
> personal and group gear. Had to train 1 weekend a month, and never ask
> the victims for a dime. It would have been considered an insult to both
> the rescuers and the victim. Our job is to help not judge!

Sanction of the victim.

--
mfuller@somtel.com; Northern Franklin County, Maine         $
The Constitution is the white man's ghost shirt.  }>:-/> --->