[at-l] MAKE EM PAY!!!

Well "Paying for Rescue" is an argument that's been hashed out in many
forums many times over the last few years. The controversy certainly
won't be settled here. But here are a few thoughts to think about.

First it saddens me when I see such a quick rush to judgment. Especially
when no details were presented. I don't know how competent these hikers
were. I've certainly seen no evidence presented here. Failure to
register is hardly a test of competency.

Second from my perspective, their competency is not relevant. I'm sure
that many on this list would be glad to jump up with a thousand but's.

My point is that whenever we step out into the woods, we are all at some
level incompetent. Wither we've done it 5 or 5000 times doesn't mean we
can't get into trouble. Every time I return home safely, I'm grateful
for the opportunity and that I didn't screw up by doing something simple
but stupid that could get me into trouble.

A minor shift of the weather could spell the difference between a
pleasant trip and life threatening situation. Even the most experience
weatherman can't get it right more than 50% of the time.

I'm not implying that these climbers problems were caused by weather.
It's just one of a thousand things that determine the outcome of a trip.

Many would ask why should the park or anyone else pay. That's a good
question. It's also one I ask myself when some gang member with no
insurance gets shot, winds up in the hospital crippled for life. A
needless, senseless act that will in the end cost me thousands of
dollars over the years in increased insurance payments.

Why should I pay for some ass that want's to drink himself into a stupor
and need a liver transplant years from now. Yet I've read many post
extolling the virtues of beer on the trail.

There are no easy answers. But if you get into trouble on the mountain.
Do you want your rescuer asking for your Visa before he hauls your ass
to safety?

Fallingwater

PS. I spent 7 plus year in Mountain Rescue. We purchased all of our own
personal and group gear. Had to train 1 weekend a month, and never ask
the victims for a dime. It would have been considered an insult to both
the rescuers and the victim. Our job is to help not judge!