Re: [at-l] Lost Hikers

Hm.  That approach has possibilities; Rusty could write a good sign!
Can't pretend rescues don't cost money -- and risk other lives.  Some
restrictions could/should/do apply.  Going back out to read the other

>From: Jim Phillips <gammara1@mediaone.net>
>To: bluestreak <bluestreak@mailcity.com>
>CC: at-l@backcountry.net
>Subject: Re: [at-l] Lost Hikers
>Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 06:50:55 -0500
>
>It seems to me that if u get caught by a freak storm in July, the state
should rescue you. However if you are dumb enough to go unprepared in
the winter into a hostile environment, then u should fork over the money
to rescue u from your own stupidity. In Canada at many of the ski
resorts, they have signs that read something like this " please feel
free to ski out of bounds- its good for the local economy. When rescued
by the search teams, please have your credit card ready to pay them"
Just my 2 cents Jim

>bluestreak wrote:
>
>> Hi All, There was an article in today's New Hampshire Union Leader
about 4 University of Maine Hikers who got lost on Katahdin on Saturday
and had to be rescued. It appears they used poor judgement on making the
ascent and did not register at the park as required. The state officials
now want these students to pay the expense of the search & rescue. What
do you guys think? Should anyone have to pay ever or only under certain
curcumstances? I have my own opinions but want some others to weigh in
too before I have to put on my flame proof undies.

http://www.backcountry.net  *