Re: [at-l] Trip plan near Standing Indian

I can confirm your endorsement. The Standing Indian Campground (SIC)is
still closed. The road to Deep Gap was opened 3/19. The folks (both of
them) appear to be busy as bees with the thru-hikers coming and going.

After towing my bug the 155 miles from Smyrna, GA to Standing Indian, I had
to circle back, apprehensive with the bad press Rainbow gets around this
list. I had given Iceman Matt a 1/2 mile lift back to Rock Gap to spend the
night at the shelter after he ate lunch at RS, with mild grumbling that
they only offer rides to those who spend the night.

The folks at RS were courteous, and fair business people. The bug will stay
with them for $2 a day. If they bring it to me at Deep Gap, I will owe for
a $20 shuttle cost, less if I call from the pay phone at SIC. They have
quite a few people doing similar vehicle arrangements.

While I was at RS, I met several hikers, mostly younger men who were 1-2
weeks into their thru hikes. One guy was hiking for second year in a row (I
think he said he was Ultra-lite). He was the only guy staying at RS
carrying a trail name. I got a kick out of their obvious snickers over my
trailname as a mere "Net Hiker". Red Baron pizzas were selling like hot cakes!

Well, back to the garage and finish packing the bag, get the mail drop
ready for Neels Gap, and my section starting next Saturday. If nothing
else, I've gotten my wife into walking the neighborhood, 5 miles in the
past 3 days for her! She's less embarrassed over my hiking boots, and
complaining less about her shin splints and hips. Now if I can get her to
walk up to Le Conte Lodge or Len Foot Lodge.......

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA