Subject: Re: [at-l] Hiking Poles
Author:  bullard@northnet.org at ima
Date:    3/9/99 9:55 PM

At 06:07 PM 3/9/99 -0800, Brody Dittemore wrote:
>Hey, I'm looking into purchasing a pair of those fancy hiking poles
>companies sell these days. I've hiked with sticks that I've found along
>trails for awhile now, and really enjoy it. I just don't enjoy having to
>search for that "perfect" stick whenever my old one wears out or breaks.
>I've looked at a few Leki poles, and I like them, but how do they compare
>to other brands, such as MSR/Gabel's, or Komperdell's, or Track's? Are then
>any other manufacturers that make nice poles that I haven't heard about?
>Any bad experiences? Besides for that, well...thanks for your help and have
>a good one.
>
>Brody.

Recently I found my perfect pole. I only use one when hiking and I've had
several. I wanted a 3 section pole to collapse as small as possible that
has a carbide tip, snow/mud basket and a camera screw under the knob. As a
bonus I got a foam grip, a shock absorber that can be turned on/off, and a
composition cork knob. I found it at EMS. It was their own brand made for
them in Europe. Yeah, I know they're a chain, but they are also a 'local'
outfitter for me and no other local dealer had exactly I wanted.

"Perfect" is a very personal definition. Think about how you will use your
pole or poles. Do you want grip handles or a knob on top? A knob is nice
when going downhill. You can plant the pole ahead of you without contorting
your wrist. Do you want a camera mount? How many sections? What kind of
locks? If you've been using poles, you must know what you don't like about
them and probably have a wish list of features for your replacements.
Decide what you want, then go find it.

Saunterer