Re: [at-l] Microcassette recorders

Tim Hewitt wrote:

... has just dropped a small cassette recorder on my desk and has
> asked me to consider taking it on my hike.
> Any thoughts? Any experiences?
>
> -Paddler

although I've not used this myself, i have good friends who have done so
during long separations from their partner.  They found it helped them
stay more connected to each other than just letters and phone calls.
Some of the reasons:  you get to hear the voices; its not on long
distance charges, so you often talk more about the small stuff that you
may not 'waste' time on in a phone call - like the kids singing you a
little song they learned, telling you a long drawn out story about their
day etc.. stuff that they & you just wouldn't have time for on phone
calls and probably wouldn't bother to write down.  They said it was the
small stuff that kept them connected to each others daily lives.  Plus,
its not face to face, so sometimes kids find that easier to confide in a
tape and also they don't have to worry about any 'interruptions', they
can think they have you all to themselves while they are recording.

sooo, if its lightweight and easy to use, go ahead and take it.  Who
knows, it could turn out to be your favorite piece of gear cuz its not
specifically about your hike, but about connecting to your family at
home... although you and your wife could probably deal w/ being less
connected for a few months, thats hard on kids.  hearing daddy's voice
and being able to just babble endlessly on to him may make them feel
better about your not being home.  plus, you could occasionally send
each family member their own private 'tape' from dad and encourage them
to do the same for you.

all in all tho, i just dont know.. could go two ways - could make it
easier for you to be away or make  you miss them all the more and make
it harder to get into the trail life...

if you take it, make sure everyone uses pencil to label their tapes so
you can erase it and re-use each tape to send msgs back home w/ new
labels.

Just some thoughts...

Paula