Re: [at-l] Microcassette recorders

Hey Paddler,

I carried a micro-cassette recorder with me from Damascus (where I got a
ride to a nearby Walmart and bought it) up to about MA.  I did it because I
was having lots of fun and great thoughts in the middle of the day that I
couldn't seem to keep straight when I went to write my journal at night (or
3 nights later... hey you get behind in these things!)  I really liked it.
I only got rid of it in MA because I found that I wasn't using it that much
anymore.  It didn't weigh much and since I wasn't sending the cassettes
home I didn't need to buy more.  If you take it make sure you get new tapes
in maildrops along the way.  Plus that gave me much more of an opportunity
to capture moments while they were happening and know exactly what my
emotions were at the time.  If your family keeps them (and doesn't send
them back to you for re-recording) it will be a great memento for you to
re-play for years.

I also know Peacepipe carried one in '98, but she used hers to record OTHER
people along the trail.. shelter conversations, people singing, snoring,
just things that she'd want to remember in a few years.  She even did the
'interview' thing with friends at times and it was pretty cool because
she'd play back things to us when we had missed something earlier in our
hikes.

So neither of us did exactly what you're talking about, but I think both of
us thought it was worth the weight to carry it.  Just my input.

Twilight