RE: [at-l] I need a vote

I took BOTH. Full-length Ridgerest for insulation, 3/4 length ultralite
thermarest for hip padding. If you can handle the ridicule of your
thruhiking peers, you'll be more comfortable than they will. It worked
great in spring and fall. Could have done without the ridgerest during the
summer, maybe, and would have lightened the pack some during the hottest
part of the hike, but I liked using it to keep my butt from getting dirty
when I was sitting during breaks and at lunch, so I kept it strapped in a
convenient place outside my pack, and would throw it down every time I took
a break. Wouldn't want to do that with the thermarest, which might puncture.

--Rhymin' Worm, GA-ME '97