Re: [at-l] Eastern Mountain Sports Packs

In a message dated 2/27/99 1:23:48 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
dmiller@res.kent.edu writes:

<< I have been saving to buy a Dana Design Terraplane X. >>

I use  the Dana Terraplane 10th anniversary, the predecessor of the X.  I love
it.  Try not to let anyone talk you out of it solely on the weight factor, it
rides beautifully with any load.

All the bells and whistles make it a very convenient pack (hip lid, side zips,
side and top pockets, etc., but it is pricey.  In '97, prior to my start on
the AT most of my other gear was bought used or borrowed.

The pack shows virtually no signs of wear, needed no repairs and I'm not easy
with it. But beware the newer packs made outside Bozeman may not be as well
built.  I've noticed the bottom area previously made of 1000 denier cordura is
now 500.  This may or not be necessary.

You may want to look at a used one, where you could probably get a good buy.
If you buy used over the net, pay c.o.d. collect and examine the product first
(I think they allow this).

Many people aren't willing to carry the extra weight, but I personally feel
it's worth it.

If you're a Dana fan you may want to check out the Bridger somewhat smaller
and lighter than the Terraplane X

Sly

PS. EMS gear will work too, most likely not as long