Re: [at-l] First aid a la SOLO

Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:20:36 -0500 Tim Hewitt <thewitt@fairchildsemi.com> wrote:

>I was not going to weigh in on this because I have a not-so-good story
>to tell, but I will anyway.
SNIP

I was not going to weigh in on this either and I'll not go into details, but
I had a similar experience.

The differences in our experiences were:

1)  That when I arrived on the accident scene there were already a number of
folk doing mostly the wrong things -- the most pertinent was they were
moving a neck injury.  I advised them that I had training and offered help
which was refused by the "helpers."  The victims were not consulted.

2) That I carry $1M personal liability insurance and $5M professional
liability.  The first as a rider on my home owner/ automobile/ etc.
combination -- at very little additional cost.  The second through my work
-- technical not medical.  As I was in official work related travel, both
kicked in when the families sued everybody they could name.

3) Between the legal staff at work and the two insurance companies, I was
(I'm not sure of the legal term here) "separated" from the
combined-name-every-body "deep pockets" suit.  The family then dropped the
separate suit against me.

The main similarity in our experience was that every lawyer that I talked to
told me I should not have stopping to help.

That was all before the States started passing "Good Samaritan" laws.  So,
I'm not sure it has relevance today; but then I'm not a lawyer.

Chainsaw