[at-l] First aid a la SOLO

I took the basic SOLO 1st aid for beginners course (Wilderness First Aid)
this winter.  Here's what they recommend for their kit:

Latex gloves (I have mine in a plastic 35mm film can with a cord running
thru it hooked on to my pack straps, it's the 1st thing to do.  Not just
for AIDS, hepatitis etc., do you know where *your* hands have been...
2 Large Cravats (bandanas big enough to make slings out of, about 24"x24")
2 Surgipads (or sanitary napkins, the big old-fashioned ones)
4 4x4 gauze pads
10 1" bandaids (I like the knit fabric ones, they're very durable)
1 1"x10yd roll of adhesive tape
6 safety pins
2 rolls of 4" Kling (a self closing wrap like a lightweight ace bandage)
1 6" ace bandage
6 Alcohol or Betadine wipes
1 tube of Povidone Iodine (wound care and emergency water purification)
Moleskin or equivlant
Knife or scissors (I have a small folding pair of scissors, great for moleskin)
Paper and pencil, to track vital signs and record symptoms (SOLO also has a
simple form to help you stay organized doing this task, it's very important
to follow up rescuers to have a record of vital signs over time).

All this weighs about 19oz and goes in a stuff sack (I use a ziplok).

Plus the stuff below, In addition to the "10 basic things you never hike
without"--flashlight, H2O, matches, rain gear,etc...:
Jello (not the lo-cal kind) for hypothermia/diabetic
A way to heat water (a candle and metal cup as a minimum)
Some way to keep wind/water off victim (garbage bags, plastic sheet, tent, etc)

The course stresses improvization, you are probably carrying stuff that
could substitute for non-medicinal items on the above list, but it is
important that you don't harm yourself to help others (for example, using
all your warm clothes for slings/bandages/padding,etc).  The rescue team
dosen't want to find two victims when they get there.

Now, remember, this is a kit to treat others, not just provide for your own
needs.  I guess now that I've been trained, I'm obligated to carry this
stuff (good thing I ordered a Nomad).  This becomes a bit of a moral issue
(discussion anyone?)  If you have training, are you obligated as a human
being to use that training to help another in need?  Are you remiss if you
have the skills, but don't bring the necessary tools?

Wilderness (non-Urban) treatment requires a different approach than
commonly practiced in cities.  Urban rescue is geared to get injured people
stabilized and under hospital care within the 'golden hour' after their
injury.  Longer than that, survival rates start to go down.

The goal in wilderness (or perhaps more exactly, backcountry) first aid is
to stabilize a patient and support them for the "golden day" the amount of
time it would typically take outside help to arrive and transport the
victim.  It's a scary business, you are really on the spot here.  Orangebug
is probably not going to show up just in time to help out.  What you do
upon arriving at an accident can make a huge difference in the survival of
an injured hiker, even on the fairly accessible AT.

Hmm... seems that this is getting longer than I expected.  I'll wind it up
with a pitch to take the course.  I believe it's a duty for backcountry
users (just like trail maintenance). You should face the reality that
people CAN get hurt out there, it CAN be a serious problem, and help CAN
take a long time to arrive, even if you do use the c*** p****.

Nothing like the zeal of the newly converted, I guess....

Cosmo

"There are three great times for thinking --
 On the john, in the shower, and while hiking.
 And the best of these is while hiking."

 Colin. Fletcher.

Life is Fast, Walk Slowly