Re: [at-l] The Class of 1999 Update

Section hike
Foster Parsons  First Pilgrim  Kataydin to PenMar  May 16

Cc:            at-l@backcountry.net
From:          tmcginnis@ucclan.state.in.us (Thomas McGinnis)
Date:          Thu, 25 Feb 1999 09:35:06 -0500
Subject:       Re[2]: [at-l] Iodine

     This post contains a near-exhaustive brain-dump of my personal store
     of chemistry knowledge. (Should be short.)
     1) "Iodine" is a chemical element; what we generally treat our water
     with is a compound: "Iodide".
     2) "Salts" are chemical compound of a positive metal ion (Na+, K+) and
     a negative halogen ion (Cl-, I-).
     3) "Table Salt" is NaCl; what our muscles crave most is K. K is an
     impurity in store-bought NaCl, so we need to get it from bananas and
     raisons (GORPAGE!!!!! YEA!!). When Morton's says "When it rains, it
     pours", they are telling you that their table salt does not contain
     any KCl, and so does not pull water out of the air to clump up your
     shaker.
     4) In unsaturated solution, salts will dissolve into the separate
     ions. Saturation depends on the amount of salt present AND ON THE
     TEMPERATURE OF THE SOLUTION: the warmer the solution, the higher the
     level of saturation. Thus, stirring amount X of a salt into cold water
     may leave some amount Y left undisolved in the bottom of the pot;
     heating the water will raise saturation level, and allow more of the
     undisolved salt to go into solution. Conversely, some amount Y of salt
     disolved in a solution may precipitate out (appear as salt solids) to
     the bottom of the pot as the solution is cooled.

     From this, I would SURMISE that combining Gatoraide with Iodide
     treated water would taste salty, would have its Iodine-based salt
     attacked (and made available) in the body the same as NaCl or KCl. But
     with as much salt as all that being introduced, I MIGHT be concerned
     about INGESTING sufficient water to keep up with the thirst-inducing
     effects of the all the salts......but I've never noticed any problem
     with the great gobs of gorpage I've ingested either......