Re: [at-l] Iodine

> From: MLodowski@aol.com

> In a message dated 2/23/99 10:41:26 AM Central Standard Time,
> ssharpe@WELLESLEY.EDU writes:
>
> << Not sure now if I read this right, but KC are you planning to use
>  Potable Aqua for your whole through hike?  I seem to remember a
>  thread on this a while ago where people expressed concern about using
>  iodine for months at a time..... >>
> I am carrying potable aqua (iodine) until I have reason to do
> otherwise...Comments?
>
> am I going to get a thyroid disorder...or poisoned...any doctors out
there?

	I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV...  but I love to give free
medical advise.  (Donations accepted)   ;)
On my thru, I got completely disgusted and tired of fighting with my filter
(MSR model?? - made to screw onto a Nalgene bottle,)  I picked up a bottle
of Polar Pure (iodine crystals in solution,) in Damascus VA.  Shortly
before this a fellow thruhiker convinced me to try her bleach (one or two
drops) ONCE and it made me sick.  I never had any trouble with the Polar
Pure whatsoever.  I began to like the slight taste of iodine, and even
missed the flavor in towns and when I got home.  I also liked the fact that
the iodine dose was measured based on temperature, since iodine is less
efficient in treating colder water.  Remember, in small doses, iodine is a
'necessary' part of a healthy diet.  It is added to common table salt to
insure that those of us who don't get the chance to swallow sufficient
ocean water have enough in our diet.  Some people do have adverse reactions
to it however.  If anyone plans to use it long term and hasn't tried it
before, you may want to test it before you actually depend on it.

Rob Brown
...Strider...
GA-ME'94 and '0?