Re: [at-l] Iodine

I remember researching this a little while back (if I recall, Charlie II was
talking about LNT and animal/human pathogens).  I calculated that assuming you
treat 2 gallons of water a day per manufacturer's directions you end up
ingesting about 500 times the RDA for iodine every day.  However, such high
amounts are not known to cause any effects if you have a normal thyroid, at
least from studies that I read (the Russians treated alot of children with high
dose iodine following the Chernobyl incident for 6-12 months, and there were no
problems with low or high thyroid activity).  there is a list of adverse
effects of iodine toxicity that I'll try to find again -- I think alot of it
was gastrointestinal.  My advice:  get a thyroid work-up if you plan on using
iodine tablets/liquid for your hike.  Find out if you have borderline thyroid
problems.  OrangeBug?

Voodoo Chile