[at-l] AT buy and mail resupply

Hi everyone - I recently put together a list of resupply suggestions for
a '99er. It's basically the way I would do it, which is a combination of
maildrops and buying along the way. Thought some of you might be
interested in seeing it. This is what I sent him:

>Here is a list of resupply suggestions, south to north. Lots of other
combinations would work as well, but this is what works best for me
after several years of trying different things.... Note - the number of
days listed after a location is how many days of food to hike out of
town with. Amount of food bought may be less. Also, buying in town means
that you have to be flexible based on selection. Some of these
resupplies are only a few days apart from each other. This is largely to
cut down on food weight in your pack, and I've chosen the more
convenient towns. In those cases, the stops aren't in the form of two
consecutive maildrops (so you don't have to worry about post offices too
often).

- Leave Springer with 4-5 days of food (Neels Gap is about 3 days away,
but it would mean buying 1-2 days less there)

- Neels Gap: 3-4 days (buy)

- Hiawassee: 6 days (buy)

- SKIP Franklin and Rainbow Springs

- Wesser: 2-3 days (buy to add to whatever is left over in your food bag
- don't be picky here)

- Fontana: 7 days, to avoid Gatlinburg (unless you have some desire to
go there) (maildrop)

- Hot Springs: 5 days (maildrop)

- Erwin: 5 days (buy)

- Kincorra Hostel: 4 days (maildrop) Don't miss this place...

- Damascus: 5-6 days (buy or maildrop)

- Atkins: 3 days (buy)

- Bland: 3 days (buy)

- Pearisburg: 6 days (buy)

- Daleville/Troutville: 7 days (buy - Winn Dixie Supermarket)

- If you have a hard time making it to Waynesboro on 7 days, there are a
number of other places to pick up some extra in between.

- Waynesboro: 5 days (buy)

- either Front Royal (buy) or Linden (maildrop) 3-4 days

From Harpers Ferry to Duncannon there are a number of feasible resupply
combinations. Here is the one I'd likely go with:

- Harpers Ferry: 4-5 days (maildrop)- this next section is longer than
that, but there are lots of opportunities to grab stuff along the way...

- Boiling Springs: 2 days (buy - ask at ATC where the store is)

- Duncannon: 4-5 days (maildrop)

- Port Clinton: 5 days (maildrop) or buy in Hamburg; usually not hard to
get a ride there

- Delaware Water Gap: 4 days (maildrop)

- Vernon: 3-4 days (buy)

- Bear Mountain: 4 days (maildrop) - stay at Graymoor Friary 7 miles
north of town on the trail

- Kent: 2 days (buy) - you'll likely have some food left that you
carried out of Bear Mountain

- Salisbury: 5 days (buy)

- Chesire: 5 days (maildrop) - the next day, pick up an extra day in
north adams, where there's also a laundromat across from Price Chopper

- Manchester Center: 6 days (buy)

- Hanover: 5 days (buy)

- Glencliff: (maildrop for cold weather clothes)

- North Woodstock: 5 days (buy at Grand Union in next door Lincoln)

- Gorham: 4 days (maildrop or buy) the post office is more convenient
than the store

In Maine there are some options that work equally well: Rangely and
Stratton both have decent stores - Andover does not, but enough to get
you to Rangely. If you want to bypass Rangely, I would have a maildrop
in Andover to get to Stratton.

Andover to Rangely: 3 days
Rangely to Stratton: 2-3 days

Stratton: 6 days (buy)

Monson: 7 days (maildrop) or pack less in the box and grab some stuff in
the general store

Abol Bridge: Very expensive, but if you are running low, you'll still
need about a day of food as you enter Baxter state park.