Re: [at-l] Konnarock Trail Crew

Hi - you wrote:

>Does the crew travel out to the "job site" each day from Mt Rogers?
>Can you give me more detail on how they actually schedule their day.

"Crew weeks" on Konnarock (and Mid-Atlantic) are a five day period that
run from Thursday to Monday. People usually show up sometime on
Wednesday, get acquainted with base camp, eat a huge group dinner, and
finally a meeting with the crew leader about what is going on that week,
including a lot of focus on safety issues. Next morning, there's an
early breakfast, the tools are loaded into the vans, and everyone packs
five days worth of their personal gear (not including food, which is
packed seperate). Then by 8am the vans drive off to their own projects,
not to return until Monday afternoon. The project is anywhere from 15
minutes to 7 hours away, and that normally means camping there for four
nights, usually as close to the van as possible so you don't have to
backpack everything in for miles (unlike Rocky Top or the VLTP).
Sometimes the project is too far from an access point for it be feasible
to hike back and forth every day, but only a few times a season. Any
time the project is less than 30 or so minutes from the Mount Rogers
base camp, we tend to just stay there and commute everyday. This is
always the case each year for week one, and often the last week as well.

For those staying multiple crew weeks, tuesday and wednesday is your day
off. Sometimes, one of the crews will stay away for two weeks straight
and have their days off there, because the long drive eats away to much
time from the work (I'm specifically talking about the Nantahalas and
Georgia, or even a remote locale in the Smokies, like last summer).

Hope that helps. Take care,

wc

reply to: weathercarrot@hotmail.com