[at-l] RE: Erwin Mail Drop

* Message posted to AT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Mark Starnes <mfstarnes@aol.com>.
* Please use <mailto:mfstarnes@aol.com> to reply to the sender.

Erwin has a fairly new (circa 1998), luxurious (at least by trail standards) hostel, right at the Nolichucky River where the trail passes through.  I'm not sure it's in the guides, but I was there a couple of weekends ago.  It's called Uncle Johnny's Nolichucky Hostel.  He has bunks, camping, an outfitters' store and the like.  The # is (423)735-0548.  I'm pretty sure Uncle Johnny (John Shores) is accepting mail drops, but I would just confirm.

He started hiking the trail in 1997 and got to Erwin and basically decided he wanted to operate a hostel for hikers.  That's where he stopped, and he will be hosting his 2nd season this year.  Nice guy.  Sounds like he's got a lot of great ideas for the place.  Hope this helps.

BTW, once you get there, you may change your mind about not taking a layover.  Good luck in '99!

Grizzly - someday GA->ME