Re: [at-l] short section

Thanks for the pointers. Actually, between a Bro in NOVA and a daughter in
Hoo-ville, I really don't have a great deal of trouble with the transport.
I have decided to forego VA this year, as my daughter is in midterms that
week. As it is, my plans are for a travel night Friday 3/5, hit the trail
at Neel's Gap 3/6, and try for Franklin by 3/13. I hope to plant a car in
or near Franklin (probably Standing Indian Campground) and get a ride by
friends or family for the start.

Right now I'm looking into whether to do mail drops or just carry a week's
supply of calories. I'm thinking of trying the mail drop as a way of
practicing for a longer hike in a few years. I really do not want to hike
to Fontana. The idea of starting there for another section is a bit
daunting. (I've seen the elevation map).

There seems to be a number of problems in using the VA stretch of the AT.
In looking at the map, I am not pleased to see how it criss-crosses the
Skyland Parkway so often. If legal campsites and required shelters are the
norm, I understand why many skip VA.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA