Re: [at-l] snacks and lunches

Subject: [at-l] snacks and lunches
Author:  Pat Villeneuve <patv@falcon.cc.ukans.edu> at ima
Date:    2/16/99 1:03 PM

Wooleybugger--asked:

<But what am I going to do for "lunches and snacks"? I realy could use
so advice here.
     Gimme Chocolate replied:
There are lots of options. A few folks stop and make a warm lunch, such
as Ramen. (And you can eat the noodles uncooked, too, BTW...) Others buy
bread or bagels and make sandwiches. Lots eat performance bars. I prefer
to graze as I walk--<Moooo...such a lovely image ;-P>--so I load up a
fanny pack with snacks and eat all day. My formula is:
-dried fruit snack, such as dried cranberries or apples
-carbie snack, usually a packet of peanut butter or cheese crackers
-protein snack, such as trail mix, cheese stick, cashews or pistachios
-chocolate snack (don't get me started...)
plus occasional "surprises" for a change of pace or a special (or awful)
day
     Sloetoe responds:
     I went heavy on lunches. Canned sausages, tuna, rarely chicken,
     couldn't find Spam palatable (going to try it again -- already bought
     it), gave up on cheese before I hit Shenadoah (and didn't eat any for
     almost 5 years (why???). Mostly ate sardines, 'cause they had such a
     variety: catsup, spicy catsup, mustard, oil, phew! Also ate great gobs
     of peanut butter, but rarely honey (another one I don't understand). I
     never seemed to mind the metal containers, except the first day out of
     town. And this was my primary source of protein. For me, having the
     protein/fat bomb at lunch was perfect -- I have learned recently that
     if I don't carbo-load at dinner, I do POORLY the next day, and my
     breakfast (granola smothered in instant milk and instant breakfast) is
     an inviolable favorite trail food. But sardines and such?! I generally
     just ate this stuff out of whatever container it came in, and then
     stuffed myself silly with bread: white bread, wheat bread, french
     bread, italian bread, even russian rye. I would generally eat about
     half a loaf per lunch. (And yes, leaving town with 5-6 days worth of
     French bread was quite a site.) Hope this rambling answer helps.