Re: [at-l] fireball vs puffball

In a message dated 2/13/99 7:39:19 AM Central Standard Time,
Fourwh1021@aol.com writes:

<< .I want a fleece top, not a
 jacket, more like a sweater, but all I see are pull overs.  Anyone know a
good
 zip up brand? >>

Patty,
Sounds like what you are looking for is a zip up Microfleece jacket.  Lots of
good ones available out there.  If money isn't a problem check out Marmot,
North Face, Lowe Alpine, or Mountain Hardware.  Fortunately, for those of us
not born with a silver spoon, REI and Campmoor both offer varieties of this
under their own brand at a considerable price difference.
Micofleece is lighter than the other fleece choices.  It will be more like a
sweater than a jacket.  If you choose this for early spring on the AT, be
certain that you have enough layers under it, and some type of shell over it
for the really cold days.
I switched from fleece to a synthetic fill jacket last year.  It is lighter,
more windproof, and warmer than my old fleece jacket.  I bought a North Face
Berring, while the model was being discontinued, from Campmor for 59.00,
regular retail was 179.00.  This is the NF version of the Puffball jacket.
The deals are out there if you are patient.

Good Hiking,
Jim