[at-l] lightening up

What follows is a revised version of something I posted to atml last
summer. (Apologies to those who have seen it.) It describes how I
lightened my pack weight to 16# without food or water.
Warning: This post may be longer than my packing list.  Hit "delete" now
if you're not interested in lightening up. YMMV.

First, I figured I had to deal with THE BIG STUFF.
My pack, tent, pad, and bag now weigh in under 9#.
PACK - Kelty Brisbane internal, extends to 3,000 cu. in., makes me be
careful when packing. (BTW, everything fits inside.)
TENT - Eureka! Gossamer.  It's 2.5#, and I love it.  With its mesh body,
it's great for buggy nights.  The integral flies have served me well in
the wildest of storms.  I've ditching the ground cloth to save weight.
PAD - My Thermarest ultralight did not work for me on shelter floors.  I
now use (and love) a 63" Artiarch skin mat.  It weighs 1#10oz and is the
most comfortable mat I've ever slept on.  To save room in my pack, I
removed its back pad and fold the skin mat in its place.  That also
saves the weight of its stuff sack.  (Hey, to get to 16#, EVERYTHING
counts.)
BAG - For comfort, weight, and compression, I use a 20* down bag.

Then it was time to start sweating THE SMALL STUFF.
I began by looking for unnecessary or redundant items.  I also gave up
on luxuries.
My entire KITCHEN now weighs 1#4oz and fits inside a cheap, light metal
billy pot in a small stuff sack.  It consists of an old butane stove and
one canister of fuel, cap removed; matches; square of netting for clean
up; cheap metal spoon that feels like cardboard.  I gave up my pot
grabber and use foil as a lid and wind screen.  No cup.  My water bag is
a wine box liner that I carry in an open mesh bag that doubles as bear
bag.  A Platypus hoser rides in a side pocket.  I use iodine instead of
carrying a filter.
Then I carry a combined medical/personal/emergency KIT that weighs 10oz.
Among other things, it contains duct tape wrapped around a dowel to
reduce size.
Other than that, I have TP, but gave up tissues and my camp towel.  As
replacements, I cut a bandanna in quarters.  One quarter is my
handkerchief, and the other, complete with a little alligator clip sewn
to one corner, is my towel.  The other two quarters--see, I do
math--are waiting at home for another trip.
I also carry a mini-mag flashlight with a jak strap.  The flashlight has
fresh batteries, so I can do without spares.
I have some line for bear bagging.
I carry minimal paperwork in a light, zip-top pencil pouch.
I do still have some weight in liquids.  I am carrying 2oz. of hand
sanitizer (but it also has first aid uses) and some sunscreen and insect
repellent.

CLOTHES
I hike in shorts, a synthetic T, and a cap, and for camp and sleep carry
a top and bottom that cover my arms and legs.  Also have changes of
underwear and socks, a light windbreaker, minimal fleece, super light
Teva knock-offs, and the lighest longjohn top. (Clothing varies by
season, of course. In cold weather I add a balaclava and gloves.)

I think that's about it.  I carry no more than a week's worth of food at
a time, less when it's easy to resupply. I also use a CaseLogic CD
carrier as a fanny pack. It totes my day's snacks, a light camera,
plastic whistle, clip-on sunglasses, and a mini themometer tab with
built-in compass.

Any questions?
Give Me Chocolate