Re: [at-l] ATC's 2000-miler Application

In a message dated 2/10/99 7:46:34 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
bogey1@worldlynxyork.net writes:

<<
 The Appalachian Trail Conference confers the designation of  "2,000miler"
 on any individual who claims completion of the entire length of the
 Appalachian Trail. We use the term "2,000-miler" as a matter of tradition
 (the original estimated length of the A.T. >>

I still think this is absurd. No one will change my mind about this.  The AT
corridor is filled with old AT trails that are now blue, white blazes going
through towns, etc. I have already had to lessen my total miles of sections
completed because of reroutes. So do I have to hike them again? By the time I
finish section hiking, the entire trail could be rerouted. Does this mean I
have to hike it again? Here is another thing......I took a blue blaze around a
rocky ridge in New York and missed .5 mile. I had been hiking all day and was
bleeding from crawling down a rocky cravice and having the rocks nick me a
bit. It was dusk and I was tired and I was concerned about my personal safety.
Does this mean that I have to do that part again? Or does having common sense
not count at all? Another scenario, a hiker takes the old trail and runs into
someone who remembered Grandma Gatewood coming through. The hiker spends the
afternoon listening to old stories about when the "trail ran through these
parts." Is that still not a part of the AT experience, or should that hiker do
that section over for missing some blazes?  Steaming but still here......

          choovers