Subject: [at-l] Sil Tarp Poncho
Author:  John O <johno@mail.monmouth.com> at ima
Date:    2/12/99 1:25 AM

Hi Folks,
Burning the night oil tonight.  Got back late from watching my son perform
in a play at his college.  He did really well I was quite impressed with
his performance.  What else did you expect me to say?  Honestly he did an
excellent job.  If you don't believe me ask his mother, sister or
grandmother we were all there.
I just received my 5'x8' sil tarp from Integral Designs and I was
thinking?????
I'm looking for feedback on these ideas?
At 7.4 ounces it would make a great poncho.  Tomorrow I'll load up my pack
and drap the tarp over it and me poncho style to see how much it actually
covers.  If all goes according to plan?  I could make a cut big enough for
my head to pass through and I'll have a 7.4 ounce poncho.  Instead of the
Campmor backpacker poncho at 16 ounces.  A substantial savings in weight.
I would have to hem the opening to prevent tearing down the road.
Or I could make the cut and only have my face not covered by the poncho
like I do now using the hood.  I usually wear some sort of a hat under the
current poncho.
Using this method would I have to attached a draw string to secure hood or
do you think I could get by without it?
Oh I forgot to mention the tarp has webbed loops every 2' on the 8' side
and webbed loops every 1' on the 5' side.  There are no seams on this tarp.
 So the webbed loops can be secured together with some sort of light line
just like the snaps do on the other poncho.  The extra webs could be
removed and save some additional weight.  I would leave four corner loops
just like other poncho as an emergency shelter setup.
Have a good one.
John O

John F. O'Mahoney
E-mail: johno@mail.monmouth.com