[at-l] re: relationships and the AT

many people have commented on jim and ginny's special relationship.  but
let's not forget that just because you like to do the same things, it means
you'll be happily married.

i, too, met my wife on the AT in 92, i on a thruhike, miriam walking from
harpers ferry to katahdin.  but that commonality wasn't enough.  in fact,
the AT served to drive us apart, as i use it as a constant source of
inspiration and guidance, while miriam tends to discount the experience as
not relevant to non-trail life.

we were not successful at doing all the neccessary things to keep a
marriage together.  while it started out like a fairytale, the relationship
wasn't immune to the pressures of any and all relationships.  we just
weren't very good at dealing with those pressures.

so now we are "ex."  i am planning a southbound PCT hike this year, miriam
is planning a northbound AT hike for 2000 or 01 (she'll be the one with the
2 or 3 brittany spaniels).  we still love to do similar things.  we just
can't live together.  all relationships, no matter how seemingly ideal,
require effort by both parties to last;  if you're lucky, it will be
effort-less, but even if it isn't, it's still worth it.

with lessons reinforced, i plow ahead...

mike
ke kaahawe, AT92  TYT94  PCT99
mhAT92@tidepool.com