Re: [at-l] Storing your pack

In a message dated 2/11/99 12:31:55 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
sdowns@premiertechnologies.com writes:

<< So...if you hike with and use a tent, where do you store your pack? In the
tent
 with you, in the vestibule, or in the shelter? (Thinking mouse prevention
here).
 And did you hang your food in the shelter, keep it in the tent with you, or
keep
 it in your pack? (C'mon, I know most of you DON'T bear bag). >>

I usually kept my pack in the tent with me.  Occasionally leaving it outside
with the pack cover on in case of rain.  I always kept my food with me, in
case I wanted a late night snack.  Most of the time, I'd leave my stove in the
vestibule and boots too unless I thought porcupines were in the area (NE).

It kind of pissed me off when I was sheltering and tenters would hang their
packs in the shelters, they're only made to handle so much, if that.

I really only had a couple problems with mice and actually I liked it.  One
was the attic of Roan Mountain Shelter, although I hung my food I could hear a
mouse in my pack (I tried to keep the pockets open most of the time).  It's
amazing how much noise a small mouse can make in the still of the night.
Anyway, in the morning my tp was torn to shreds.  I guess he needed it for his
home, which was ok with me, he left me plenty.

The only other time was at the Moreland Gap Shelter,  I had my pack hanging on
the side of the shelter next to me and could hear the thing racing up and
down.  I turned on my light and he was running in and out of my wet rib pocket
behind my pack and up the rafter where the food bags where hung and back down
again, he had to do this atleast a dozen times.  It was cool watching him.

Oh ya, one more in one of the shelters in the Smokies I forget which one after
having dinner and hanging my food bag, tucked away in my sleeping bag I found
a cremora package in my fleece that I was wearing to bed.  I just left it next
to me on the small wooden dividers that separate hikers.  Next morning, the
chewed empty package was right next to my head.  I never heard a thing.

Mice can be creepy, but they're cute.  I never did have one actually get to my
food.  If you stay in shelters you'll hear them quite a bit of the time.  I
have heard of mice eating holes through tents, but never actually saw that.

One other thing, if you read the shelter registers you'll get a feel for a
mouse problem, but beware I think some like to scare people with exaggerated
stories.

Sly