Subject: Re: [at-l] Re: ATML Official ATC 2,000-miler Rules
Author:  TOKTAADN@aol.com at ima
Date:    2/11/99 7:17 AM

In a message dated 2/10/99 10:44:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, jrowen@ibm.net
writes:

> arguing about blue or white blazes is an exercise in stupidity, futility
>  and frustration.  And that's not why I hike. Hiking is about freedom.
>  The only one who has to be happy with the hike is  --- YOU.  Hike your
>  own hike.

My only point here, and I make it with respect to Jim and the others who will
disagree, is that ATC's rules are there NOT to constrain anyone's hiking style
or choices, but simply to be a guideline to make the awarding of a small,
cheap, otherwise insignificant patch meaningful.  It is disingenuous to find
the patch desirable, but then rail against the rules that gave it its
desirability in the first place.

Many have expressed their disdain for the patch and the "purity" rules that go
with it.  That's perfectly reasonable and your hike can be more fun and
meaningful than the purist's hike that qualifies for the patch.  What isn't
reasonable is hiking by your own rules and feeling an "entitlement" to a patch
you don't qualify for.  It seems we just had a thread where 100% of the
respondents were against lying, so this shouldn't be too controversial a
position, is it?

Happy trails,

Solar Bear