Re: [at-l] Shelter sleeping

In a message dated 2/10/99 11:48:45 AM Central Standard Time,
NightShine@aol.com writes:

<< << Even got the foot of it rained on a little bit in a shelter
  along the AT once, without the water penetrating the shell. >>

 Here's a question for you folks....which way do you sleep with your head in a
 shelter and why? With your head towards the open part or towards the back
 wall? >>

Since I am the one that wrote the top quote, I'll say here that unless the
weather is really stormy, I always slept with my head facing out.  For the
exact reason that you stated, mice seem to prefer to run along the walls.  For
that reason I usually find a place in the middle of the shelter instead of on
the ends as well.  The only time I ever had a mouse try to come into my bag
with me was with my head facing the back wall of the shelter.  I have rarely
actually SEEN a mouse at night, but I have heard lots of them and seen the
food bags swinging like a trapeeze.  I also make sure that I leave ALL
pocktets and other openings open when I hang my pack at night and have never
had a problem with chewed packs.  I did see a hiker with a brand new Gregory
pack store his with the pockets closed and wake up the next morning to find
the zipper chewed out of the main compartment.  It's much better to give the
little buggers free access and clean out a few mouse droppings than to find
holes chewed in expensive equipment.

Good Hiking,
Jim
"Earth gives life and seeks the man who walks gently upon it."