[at-l] A Report From the Village of Delaware Water Gap

Yippee!!!! A brand new season begins!!!!!

Mr Kendall writes:

The following North bound thru-hikers have passed through
the village of Delaware Water Gap:

Pilot, a pretty female hiker from Mass.
Prehistoric Mark, a handsome male hiker from Reno

These thru hikers are our first for this season....at least
we consider them the first for US.  They are trend setters
in a way.  I believe that the ever increasing number of thru
hikers will lead more and more thru hikers to consider
earlier starting dates.  I predict that a good number of
thru hikers, especially experienced long distance hikers,
will prepare for and start their hike in the winter months.
In order to preserve some sense of wilderness experience
they will attempt their hike when the least number of other
hikers might be expected.  The winters along the AT are not
that extreme in the South, and by the time a thru hiker
reaches the New England states spring will be beginning.
Pilot and Mark will reach Katahdin just a few days before
opening date.  They are willing to wait a while till the
mountain is legally open and safe.  They will probably cross
Maine before black fly season.  This has been a fairly mild
winter for me.  I live in the Poconos and while we have had
several 4-6 inch snows and a few nights in the teens.  I am
not an experienced winter backpacker, but on my own hike I
experienced temps down to 13, and at lease one snow in the
six inch range.  These were exciting and challenging days on
the trail, but I never felt too threatened by winter.  If I
ever do another thru hike I would start earlier...say
mid-January or February 1.....remember....I REALLY do not
like hot weather.

Pilot and Mark were pretty and handsome and attended worship
at the village church, and had lunch with one of the village
families......but their authenticity was never
questioned.....they smelled like my uncle Charlie's
socks.....and he's been dead for six years.