Subject: [at-l] Relationships and the AT
Author:  David Hicks <DaveHicks@worldnet.att.net> at ima
Date:    2/6/99 3:29 PM

Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 08:25:41 -0500 sdowns@premiertechnologies.com wrote:

SNIP
>                                        My marriage was in shaky shape
>at the time. Since then, its been much worse.  I shan't go into the
>details...some of you already know them. But it still makes me wonder:
>
>Does the goal-oriented, independent, adventuresome attitude that a would-be
>thru-hiker acquires cause marital problems?
>Or, does marital (or relationship) discord bring about these changes in a
>person?
SNIP

I suspect that marital (or relationship) discord can bring about these
changes in a person; yet, OTOH, changes in a person can bring about marital
(or relationship) discord.  It seems to me changes bring about changes and
it is a chicken and egg type thing.  Some can be all positive -- growth of
individuals produces maturity in the relationship, which in turn, produces
more growth of each individual which, in turn, produces ....  OTOH a
positive change to an individual can cause a negative change in the
relationship and vice versa.  To be sure, sometime the change in an
individual just unmasks a flaw in the relationship, but that is too simple
for to be universal.

OMHO changes in circumstances (jobs/roles -- student to bread winner, wage
earner to mother, the empty nest, retirement, etc.), changes in
medical/mental condition, (even changes in activities), etc. bring about
changes in individuals.  Changes in individuals, in turn, bring about
changes in what ever relationships they are in -- sometime good changes,
sometimes bad.  However, they seldom, if ever, stay the same.

I have no idea what makes the change in relationships good or bad.  I
suspect it has a lot to do with the individual's value systems, commitment,
etc.; but even these are subject to change.

Christmas day '80 by wife had a massive stroke, followed by months of
hospitalization and years in and out physical/speech/occupational/etc.
therapy.  At the time of the stroke our relationship was a bit shaky.  Now
we are closer than ever.  However, in the meantime, we have watched couple
after couple fall apart.  The vast majority of the folk at the out therapy
have split or have a very unhealthy relationship.  I don't think we would
have made it w/o all the professional counseling we got/are getting.  Yet,
others seem to fall apart even with the professional help.

Whether the relationship was good before or bad before does not seem to be
the driver.

I guess what I am trying to say is that change is difficult on you, your
partner, and the relationship; so, don't expect to get though any "major"
change w/o help -- albeit even professional help might not be enough.

Chainsaw