Re: [at-l] Trailplace

On Sun, 7 Feb 1999 22:50:52 EST Bucky105@aol.com writes:
>Give me a break,
>
>I feel the remark may very well have been made in jest,  Of what I
>have seen
>by being a member of the mailing list.  I do not think WF would have
>stated
>this remark thinking it would be absconded by so many individuals.  A
>person
>made a comment, freedom of thought, another expressed their own.
>Disagreeing
>with it.  But the attempt to judge another person's opinion is rather
>pretentious.  Something I have never felt of the trail community.

To judge an opinion certainly can be pretentious. To judge an action can
certainly be justified. The problem is that the line between stating an
opinion and taking an action can be very murky. As has been pointed out,
the audience can be move that line and muddy the water. When someone in a
position of esteem (if not authority) makes comments that have not been
well thought out, it is possible that very poor decisions can be made as
a result.

Truth is an excellent alley and deceit is not. Lying undermines, ruins,
and can ultimately destroys a relationship. Lying fixes nothing. Truth
can calm unreasonable fears, it can put a situation into realistic
perspective. To question someone for recommending that we lie or to even
judge someone who recommends that we lie is easily justified in my mind.
  Hopeful