[at-l] Re: Cell Phones

That cell phone nonsense has surfaced again? The self worthiness of the
proponents of the opponents was what caused me to leave that list in the first
place.  I know many of us are not attached (literally and figuratively), but
for those of us with families or family members on or off the trail, or
business responsibilities off of the trail, HOW DARE ANYONE TELL ME WHAT IS OR
IS N0T A PROPER TRAIL EXPERIENCE!

I am talking about carrying something and using it discretely.  As I said last
year, since people occassionally shine flashlights into another person's eyes
in the middle of the night, should they be banned?  What about the use of
stoves to cook and resulting spills in shelters?  Should all cooking be
banned, especailly since smoke from wood fires can and does get into people's
eyes.  The absurdity of these illustrations is the point I am tryin ng to
make.  You just cannot legislate or netagate good manners and consideration.

And what the heck is technology anyway?  Is it the materials that enable first
time hikers to thru hike a trail and then declare themselves expert on this or
that issue?  Is it material and gear that allows us to carry lighter load and
then go higher and further or some at all?  Of course not, it is just
something that we do not like having there.  Unless we all get to over rule
all the gear choices made by others, how can you make your own personal likes
and dislikes more than the others?  If I do not think your voice or appearance
is in keeping with what the trail experience should be, can I ban you from the
shelter, trail or even larger community.  Of course not, no matter who you
are.  Otherwise, let's get rid of those lighters and make people use matches,
oops. rub two sticks together.  Get the point?

BUT YOU CAN stop someone, anyone, who attempts to substitute her or his own
views for the decisions that a parent makes.  If that person is using a
mailing list to make such efforts then that person should be banned from that
list.  Perhaps the list administrator will do that.

Not that I have an opinion mind you.