Re[2]: [at-l] Relationships and the AT

     Sly replied todaREDhead:
Realize your dream and hike.  Life is too short, not too!

 Sly

     To which I reply:
     You Bet! One of the things which made me feel that a throughhike
     was the right thing to do for my (young?) family was, at a young(?)
     38 years old, I was amazed at the number of friends/collegues
     CROAKING OFF or suffering debilitating cronic illnesses. If I
     continue to work at what I love, I will not worry about retiring at
     55 or whatever, but I DANGWELLBETTER look around and make sure I am
     here using my time on the planet to my best ability now, whilst I'm
     able -- for example, to hike up the entire East Coast with my First
     Grade kids. Or for those with relationships intact, to test one's
     mettle in the company of your best friend......

     I sure hope, given the circumstances, these words don't ring
     hollow. My point is that the AT (which is to say, "...a throughhike
     of the Appalachian Trail..." should not be an escape, but a quest.
     An escape, I think, would be doomed to failure; a quest would seem
     much more durable, even as it might evolve from one ultimate goal
     to another. And evolve partner relationships (healthily with it?).