Re: [at-l] Relationships and the AT

In a message dated 2/5/99 12:53:36 PM Central Standard Time, DaRedhead@aol.com
writes:

<< Then Studette meets a new Studly.  This Studly doesnt hike much.  Studly is
 jealous and possessive.  By now, Studette is planning a thru hike, and Studly
 doesn't want her to. Studette doesn't want to give up her new found
 independence.  This causes marital (or relationship) discord.

 Hmmm. . . this could go on forever, potentially. >>

<< Then Studette meets a new Studly.  This Studly doesnt hike much.  Studly is
 jealous and possessive.  By now, Studette is planning a thru hike, and Studly
 doesn't want her to. Studette doesn't want to give up her new found
 independence.  This causes marital (or relationship) discord.

 Hmmm. . . this could go on forever, potentially.  >>

The obvious answer to this dilemma is the one that I found after my divorce.
The next Studette will be a Hiker Babe.  If she's not, then she won't be the
next Studette.  Having some common interests is very important in maintaining
a long term relationship, and this is one that I consider essential.  It is
critical that both parties see eye to eye on the issues that you both consider
important.  For me, we need to share common values, morals, and love of
hiking.  If we share these three things, then differences in all other aspects
of the relationship just add excitement and opportunities to grow together.
While this isn't absolutely necessary for dating and having fun together, I
consider it essential for a lasting relationship. While this works well for
me, YMMV.

Good Hiking,
Jim
"Earth gives life and seeks the man who walks gently upon it."